I love when a family recipe becomes a tradition for the holidays. My family cannot get enough of this rum cake recipe, and it has become a staple for the Christmas and Easter holidays. Everyone LOVES it! The recipe is super quick and easy to make, so it’s easy to squeeze in between gifts and Easter egg hunts!
For the cake
- 1 box yellow cake mix (with pudding)
- 1/2 C water
- 1/2 C rum (any kind, dark or white)
- 1/2 C oil
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 C chopped nuts (optional)
For the Sauce
- 1 C sugar
- 1/4 C rum
- 1/4 C water
- 1 1/2 sticks butter
- Preheat oven to 325.
- Mix all cake ingredients (except nuts) for 2 minutes.
- Grease and flour bundt cake pan (or a spray for baking, much easier!)
- Pour nuts to bottom of pan, pour in cake batter and smooth.
- Bake for 50-55 minutes.
- Place sauce ingredients in a saucepan.
- When there are about 5 minutes remaining for the cake, bring ingredients in saucepan to a simmer until sugar is dissolved.
- Remove cake from oven and pour sauce immediately over the cake still in the pan. Take your time, you want to let it seep down the sides and pool at the bottom of the pan (the top of the cake).
- Let stand 20 minutes, flip onto plate.