Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 2 hours 30 minutes
- 1tbs olive oil
- 3tbs flour
- 3lb short ribs
- 4 onions – julienne
- 2tbs crushed garlic
- 1tbs ground coriander
- 1tbs ground cumin
- 2tbs tomato paste
- 3tbs worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup beef stock
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 cup water
- 2 bay leafs
- 2 cups baby carrots
- 1 cup celery – chopped
- 12oz potatoes
- 1tbs sugar
- salt to taste
- Lorna Maseko 6.5 Quart Ceramic non-stick stock pot
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Drizzle olive oil into the Lorna Maseko 6.5 Quart Ceramic non-stick stock pot.
- Coat meat with flour, then using tongs place the short ribs into the pot and sear.
- Once seared, remove from the pot and set aside.
- In the same pot add onions, sauté using a spoon until translucent.
- Add garlic, spices, tomato paste, worcestershire sauce and combine.
- Place the short ribs back into the pot, add beef stock, red wine, water and bay leaf and place in the oven for an 1hr 30 minutes.
- After 1hr 30 minutes add carrots, celery, potatoes and sugar and add more water (if needed) and cook for a further 1 hour.
- Once done the liquid from the roast would have reduced and gravy will thicken.
- Season with salt to taste.
- Serve with rice and enjoy!
This is almost my father’s recipe for short ribs, He added green bell peppers and omitted the sugar. He is deceased but I still use a lot of his recipes. Thanks for yours.