Have you ever taken a mouth-watering bite into something delicious at a restaurant and before the plate was clean you knew you had to find a way to recreate the dish at home?
This was us recently.
It was a celebratory dinner, in fact, at a new-to-us restaurant in town and as a starter we ordered BBQ Egg Rolls.
Each bite was almost better than the last and by the time our appetizer was polished off, I was almost too full to eat the actual meal that was on the way. Almost.
I will say, those egg rolls could absolutely be a meal in themselves. And that’s what I set out to do, at home.
Armed with our Aroma air fryer, which gives us the benefit of crispy, fried foods, but without all the added fat and oils, we made it happen. Thanks to the high-heat, high-speed hot air currents of an air fryer, we can enjoy the crispy-on-the-outside and tender-on-the-inside foods we’ve come to love… and I know our at-home version offers much less fat and additives than the restaurant option, and at a fraction of the cost. A win-win!
To make these deliciously addictive BBQ egg rolls, you can use whatever meat you have – leftover chicken or pork is perfect for this dish. Or grab some pre-cooked pulled chicken or cook some up in the air fryer as you prep the rest of the ingredients! Really, the options are pretty open!
-1 cup broccoli slaw
-1/4 cup diced red onion
-1 cup shredded chicken
-1/3 cup bbq sauce
-1 package egg roll wraps
- Over medium heat, cook the broccoli slaw and diced onion in a non-stick skillet until soft (about 5 minutes).
- Add shredded chicken and BBQ sauce and heat through. Set aside.
- According to package directions, lay out an egg roll wrap and fill with 2 tablespoons of the filling from your pan. Roll up the bottom flap, tuck in the sides and then wet the top flap with water and finish rolling. Set aside.
- Continue filling egg roll wraps until you run out of filling.
5. Using a mister, spray a light coat of olive oil over egg rolls.
6. Add to pre-heated air fryer and cook on high for 10 minutes or until egg rolls look golden and crispy.
7. Serve with a side of ranch, extra BBQ sauce or sour cream, if desired.
Our family gobbled these BBQ egg rolls up. They would be great served as an appetizer at home, for any type of summer party or gathering, or even up the recipe and serve as dinner!! They’re filling and delectable!