There’s so much to love about these slow-roasted sandwiches, which are perfect for picnics and other big gatherings. The pork may take some time to cook, but it’s simple to prepare, very inexpensive, and packed with flavor.
PULLED PORK SANDWICHES
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 3 tablespoons garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (6–8 pound) bone-in pork shoulder
- 1 cup barbecue sauce (your favorite)
- Hamburger buns, for serving
- Preheat oven to 450°F. In small bowl, combine cumin, garlic powder,chili powder, paprika, salt, and pepper.
- Pat pork dry, then rub spice mixture on all exposed meat (not the skin). Place skin-side-up in square pan.
- Cook for 20 minutes, then reduce heat to 325°F and continue cooking, 1 hour for every pound of meat, 6–8 hours total. An instant-read thermometer should read 185°F when inserted in center of meat, and meat should easily fall away from the bone. Remove pork from oven and let rest 20–30 minutes.
- When pork is cool enough to handle, remove from bone and pull apart with your fingers. Thoroughly mix when finished, to evenly distribute the various textures of meat.
- Add pulled pork to clean square pan and stir in barbecue sauce. Cook, covered with foil, until warm and steaming, about 15 minutes. Serve on hamburger buns with your favorite slaw or pickles.