HEALTHY HACK: Replace rich Hollandaise sauce on your eggs benedict with a lighter mojo sauce, and add heart-healthy avocado!
Poached Eggs with Bacon, Avocado and Lime Mojo
Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Cook Time: 20 Minutes
- 1/3 cup, plus 1 tbs olive oil
- 2 limes
- 2 tbs chopped fresh cilantro, plus 12 whole leaves for garnish
- 1 scallion, trimmed, finely chopped
- 1 Fresno chile, finely chopped?
- 2 tbs distilled white vinegar?
- 4 large eggs
- 1 avocado, halved, pitted, peeled, cut into large chunks
- Four 1/2-inch-thick slices ciabatta bread?
- 2 tbs (1/4 stick) salted butter
- 4 slices bacon, cooked, kept warm
1. To make lime mojo, in the Curtis Stone 1.5-qt saucepan, heat 1/3 cup oil over medium-low heat until it reaches temperature of a warm bath, about 100°F. ?
2. Meanwhile, using a Microplane grater, finely grate zest of limes into a medium bowl. Halve limes and squeeze 1/4 cup juice into bowl. Stir in chopped cilantro, scallion, and chile. ?
3. Add all but 1 tbs lime-herb mixture to warm oil and remove pan from heat. Set aside. ?
4. Fill the Curtis Stone 4-qt sauté pan with 1 inch of water and bring it to a simmer over medium heat. Add the Curtis Stone egg-poaching insert to sauté pan and lightly brush egg cups with oil. Crack 1 egg into each egg cup. Cook eggs for about 3 minutes, or until whites are set but yolks are still runny. Using cup handles, carefully remove egg cups from insert and transfer eggs onto paper towel to drain excess water. Carefully place them in warm olive oil-lime sauce; set aside. ?
5. Meanwhile, preheat broiler (you can use a toaster oven). Gently fold avocado chunks into reserved lime-herb mixture to coat. Season with salt. ?
6. Spread slices of ciabatta with butter and broil for about 3 minutes, or until nicely toasted on top. ?
7. Place toast on four plates and top each piece with a slice of bacon. Divide avocado among toasts. Using a slotted spoon, carefully remove eggs from sauce and place them on top of avocado. Season with salt and pepper. Drizzle about 1 tbs sauce over each toast, distributing herbs and chile evenly. Garnish with cilantro leaves and serve. ?