When it comes to holiday side dishes, we all want to try something new! It’s easy to make a fresh option by mixing together some classic favorites and introduce a few other ingredients. This cranberry-cilantro brown rice does just that! Not only is it tasty, but it’s also a slightly healthier option, too! This dish is sure to impress at your family gathering this season!
CRANBERRY-CILANTRO BROWN RICE
Yield: 4 Servings
- 1 cup long-grain brown rice
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 shallot, very finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, very finely minced
- 3/4 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro, plus a sprig for serving
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
1. Bring 2 cups of water, the rice, and salt to a boil in a medium saucepan over high heat. Let the rice boil until some of the water is absorbed into the rice and the bubbles are popping close to the surface of the rice, about 4 minutes.
2. Cover the pan, reduce the heat to low, and cook until all of the water is absorbed and the rice is slightly al dente, 25 to 30 minutes. Turn off the heat, uncover, use a fork to fluff the rice, and set aside for 10 minutes to cool.
3. Heat the vegetable oil in a medium skillet over medium high heat.
4. Add the shallots and garlic and cook while stirring until the garlic is fragrant, about 20 seconds.
5. Stir in the rice, cilantro, and cranberries and turn out the rice into a bowl.
6. Finish with a sprig of cilantro and serve.