Looking for a spin on the classic macaroni and cheese? This baked pasta dish is sure to have your family and guests salivating at the dinner table! Ready in just about an hour, this easy recipe by Wolfgang Puck is perfect for any day of the week. Prepare your tastebuds for this flavorful macaroni that’s seasoned with bay leaves and coated with two different types of cheese. It’s time to get cooking!
Cavatappi Pasta Mac & Cheese
Yield: Serves 8-10
- 6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) unsalted butter, plus more for greasing
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 cups milk
- 1 1/4 cups crème fraîche
- 1 1/2 teaspoon fleur de sel, plus more, to taste
- 3 3/4 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 3/4 cups shredded aged cheddar cheese
- 1 lb. cavatappi, cooked al dente, cooled in ice water & drained
- 3/4 cup fresh brioche bread crumbs
- Freshly ground white pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Butter the bottom of a 3- to 4-quart square baking dish.
- In a 4-quart saucepan over medium heat, melt the 6 tablespoons butter.
- Stir in the flour and cook, stirring, until blended (about 1 minute).
- Add the bay leaf and slowly whisk in the milk until smooth. Simmer, whisking occasionally, until the mixture is thickened (14 to 16 minutes).
- Remove the bay leaf and discard.
- Whisk in the crème fraîche and the 1 1/2 tsp. fleur de sel, and bring to a simmer.
- Remove from the heat and stir in 1 1/4 cups each of the mozzarella and cheddar.
- Season with fleur de sel and white pepper.
- In a large bowl, combine the pasta and cheese sauce, and stir in 2 cups of the mozzarella.
- Transfer to the prepared baking dish.
- Sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 cup mozzarella and cheddar, and then with the bread crumbs.
- Bake until the breadcrumbs are golden and the cheese is bubbly (about 30 minutes).
- Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.