From the Spring 2019 Edition of the Beekman 1802 Almanac.
This is a take on the Greek spanakopita, a crispy phyllo pastry with a wonderfully cheesy spinach filling. The traditional spankaopita spiral is made with feta, but I love the tanginess that Goat Cheese brings to it.
- Cooking Oil Spray
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon light brown sugar
- 10 1/2 ounces fresh spinach, cooked and drained
- 4 small sheets of phyllo pastry
- 1 3/4 ounces of creamy or crumbly goat cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- A handful of black sesame seeds
To make the Phyllo Swirls:
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Spray a little oil into a non-stick frying pan over low heat and cook the onions for 5 minutes, then add the sugar and cook for another 5-6 minutes until the onions are golden brown. Stir in the spinach and then set aside to cool.
- Lay out your pastry sheets and divide the onion and spinach mixture equally between them. Spread out evenly over the sheets, then top with the cheese. Season with the black pepper. Roll into sausage shapes and then into coils
- Spray a baking tray with oil and lay the coils on the tray. Bake for 8-10 minutes until golden brown.
- Top with sesame seeds and serve.