Makes: 4 waffles
Prep Time: 20 minutes plus 15 minutes macerating time
Cook Time: 20 minutes plus 8 minutes per waffle
3 large Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and cut into 1/2-inch wedges
1/3 cup apple cider or apple juice
1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 tbs. fresh lemon juice
3/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
1 tbs. unsalted butter
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
Nonstick cooking spray
Sweet Classic Waffle Batter, see recipe
8 tsp. granulated sugar
Accompaniments: Vanilla ice cream and caramel sauce
- In large bowl, toss apples with apple cider, brown sugar, flour, lemon juice, cinnamon, and salt, to coat. Set aside for 15 minutes, or until juices form.
- In medium frypan over medium heat, cook apple mixture, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes, or until apples are softened and juices have thickened. Add butter and vanilla and stir to combine. Remove from heat and cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 200°F. Place wire rack over large sheet pan and place pan in oven.
- Preheat Curtis Stone Stuffed Waffle Maker for 3 minutes, or until green ready light turns on.
- Lightly spray lower and upper plates with cooking spray. Pour 1/2 cup batter into lower plate. Top with 1/3 cup apple mixture then another 1/3 cup batter. Sprinkle 2 tsp. granulated sugar over batter.
- Close lid and cook waffle for 8 minutes, or until golden. Carefully remove waffle and transfer to oven to keep warm while preparing more waffles.
- Serve waffles with ice cream and caramel sauce.
Sweet Classic Waffle Batter
Makes: 4 cups batter, about 4 stuffed waffles
2 cups all-purpose flour
3 tbs. sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
1 3/4 cups buttermilk
2 large eggs
6 tbs. unsalted butter, melted and cooled
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- In large bowl, whisk flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In medium bowl, whisk buttermilk, eggs, butter, and vanilla. Whisk buttermilk mixture into flour mixture until just incorporated, being careful not to overmix batter.
- Gingerbread Waffles: Add 1 tbs. ground ginger, 1 tsp. ground cinnamon, 1/4 tsp. each ground cloves and ground nutmeg to flour mixture. Add 1/4 cup molasses to buttermilk mixture.
- Gluten Free: Swap flour for a gluten free all-purpose flour, such as Bob’s Red Mill 1:1.