Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 28 minutes
Make-Ahead: Curry sauce (without shrimp and scallops) can be made 4 hours ahead, cooled, covered and refrigerated. Bring to a simmer before adding coconut milk and seafood.
1/4 cup coriander seeds
1 tablespoon cumin seeds
2 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
1/2 cup dried shredded unsweetened (dessicated) coconut
1/2 cup white wine vinegar
1 white onion, chopped
1 tablespoon finely grated peeled fresh ginger
5 garlic cloves
1 large jalapeño chile, chopped
1 tablespoon grapeseed oil
1 medium ripe tomato, diced
10 fresh curry leaves
1/2 ounce fresh turmeric, peeled, finely grated
2 teaspoons chile powder
1 1/2 cups unsweetened coconut milk
1 pound raw jumbo sea scallops
1 pound raw peeled deveined jumbo shrimp
1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves
Steamed rice, for serving
- Heat medium fry pan over medium heat. Add coriander seeds, cumin seeds, and peppercorns and stir constantly for about 3 minutes, or until seeds become toasted and fragrant. Cool completely.
- Transfer spice mixture to mini food processor. Add coconut, vinegar, onion, ginger, garlic, and chile and blend to form a paste.
- Heat oil in heavy, large pot over low heat. Add paste and sauté until fragrant and some of juices evaporate, 5 to 10 minutes. Add tomato, curry leaves, turmeric, chili powder and a pinch of salt and cook for about 5 minutes, or until tomato pieces are tender and melting into sauce.
- Stir in coconut milk and simmer for 2 to 3 minutes to allow flavors to blend. Stir in scallops and shrimp. Stir in about 1/2 cup water to thin curry sauce to desired consistency. Return curry to a simmer. Cover and cook for about 3 minutes, or until shrimp and scallops are just cooked through.
- Divide among shallow wide soup plates, top with cilantro, and serve immediately with steamed rice.