Sick of making the same recipe for dinner over and over again? Shake things up by making this seared peppercorn steak with red wine-shiitake sauce. This recipe can be made quickly, and is super easy for your weeknight menu.
SEARED PEPPERCORN STEAK WITH RED WINE-SHIITAKE PAN SAUCE
Yield: 4 servings
- 2 sirloins
- sea salt
- 2 tbs black peppercorn
- 2 tbs green peppercorn
- 2 tbs pick peppercorn
- 1 tbs szechwan peppercorn (optional)
- 1 tbs minced garlic
- 1 bunch scallions, sliced – green and white separated
- 1 pound shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and slice 1/4 inch
- 1 cup good red wine
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 2-3 pats of butter
- Grapeseed oil to cook
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
1. Grind or mortar and pestle the peppercorns to coarse grind. Mix ratio 40% salt and 60% peppercorn mix and transfer to a plate. Press steaks into mix on both sides.
2. In a medium sized sauté pan on high heat, add 2 tablespoons oil and swirl to coat. Add steaks and sear both sides, about 2 minutes a side then turn pan down to medium to finish cooking. For medium rare, about 10 minutes total and let steaks rest 5 minutes min before slicing.
3. In same pan, add a touch of oil and sauté the garlic, scallion whites and shiitakes until soft, about 3-4 minutes. Season with kosher salt and pepper.
4. Deglaze with red wine and reduce liquid by 3/4. Add chicken stock and reduce by 1/2. Check for flavor and whisk in butter.
5. Slice steak, place on top of small mound of smashed yukons and drizzle with sauce and garnish with scallion greens.