Seared Scallops with Peas, Bacon, and Mint
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Make-Ahead: Peas can be blanched up to 4 hours ahead, cooled, covered, and refrigerated.
2 1/2 cups shelled fresh peas (from 2 lb. peas in pod)
3 slices thick-sliced bacon, cut crosswise into 1/4-inch-wide strips
1/2 cup coarsely chopped shallots
2 tbs. coarsely chopped fresh mint
12 sea scallops, thawed, patted dry
2 tbs. olive oil
- In large saucepan of salted boiling water, cook peas for 2 minutes, or just until bright green and tender. Drain and transfer peas to bowl of ice water to cool. Drain well.
- Heat large heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Add bacon and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes, or until golden and crisp. Using slotted spoon, transfer bacon to paper towels to drain. Pour off all but a thin layer of fat from skillet.
- Add shallots and cook, stirring often, for 2 minutes, or until softened. Add peas and cook, stirring often, for 3 minutes, or until heated through. Stir in bacon and mint. Season with salt and pepper. Keep warm over very low heat.
- Meanwhile, season scallops with salt and pepper. Heat another large heavy skillet over high heat until very hot. Add oil, then scallops and cook 2 minutes, or until underside is golden brown. Turn scallops and cook 2 minutes more, or until other side is golden. Transfer scallops to paper towels to drain briefly.
- Divide pea mixture and scallops among 4 dinner plates and serve.