Makes: 4 servings
Prep Time: 15 minutes plus cooling and chilling time
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Make Ahead: Pears can be poached 1 day ahead. Store pears in poaching liquid and refrigerate.
3 cups dry red wine
3 cups port
1/2 cup fine sherry
1/4 to 1/2 cup sugar, to taste
2 whole cloves
1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
2 Bosc pears, peeled with stems attached
1 shallot, finely chopped
2 tablespoons tarragon white wine vinegar or white wine vinegar
1/4 cup olive oil
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
3 cups wild arugula
1 cup frisée lettuce
1/4 cup fresh Italian parsley leaves
2 ounces fresh Spanish goat cheese, cut into small bite-size wedges
2 tablespoons (about) roasted marcona almonds
To poach pears:
- Place red wine, port, sherry, sugar, nutmeg, and cloves in a medium saucepan. Stir over medium heat to dissolve sugar.
- Remove core from base of pears using a melon baller while keeping pears intact. Add pears to wine mixture, bring to a simmer, and cook gently for 20 minutes, or until tender. Cut pears in half and return to poaching liquid. Cool pears in liquid completely. Cover and refrigerate until cold.
- Remove pears from liquid, transfer to a plate and let cool.
- Place 1/4 cup of poaching liquid in small saucepan. Boil until reduced to form a syrup. Set aside to cool completely.
To make salad:
- In small bowl, combine shallots and vinegar. Slowly add oil while whisking constantly to blend. Season vinaigrette with salt and pepper.
- Cut poached pear halves into thin wedges.
- Toss arugula, frisee, and parsley in large bowl with enough dressing to coat lightly. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Arrange salad on a platter with pears and cheese. Coarsely grate almonds over salad. Drizzle syrup over salad and serve.