Pizza should have it’s own food group. I mean, it comes in so many different variations and varieties! We can have it loaded with protein, veggies and even fruit… and of course, the selection of cheeses are almost innumerable. Of course, it’s a childhood favorite, a dorm-room classic and a party essential. So yeah, suffice it to say that pizza holds a special place in our hearts, I mean, we all pretty much grew up on it right?
The great thing with pizza is that you can alter it to any kind of taste or mood, and lately BBQ chicken has been on repeat. Actually, I’ve had this thing for BBQ chicken pizza since the first time I stepped foot in a California Pizza Kitchen, and crave it every time I hear the name. It didn’t take me long to try and recreate the recipe at home, and we all have been head over heels for this recipe ever since!
Recently we added a Kettle Pizza attachment to our grill, and the taste of oven-fired pizza has totally taken our pizza making to the next level! So, start tossing that dough, because this is a recipe you don’t want to miss!
Depending on the amount of time you have, you can make or buy your dough, or even start out with store-bought flatbread! It all tastes amazing! When I have the time, I make this dough, and it’s SO good.
Homemade BBQ Chicken Pizza Flatbread
- ½ cup Lukewarm Water
- 1 package Active Dry Yeast
- 4 cups Organic Bread Flour, divided
- ¾ cup Cold Water
- 2 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil, plus extra for greasing large bowl
- 1 teaspoon Sugar
- 2 teaspoons Salt
BBQ Chicken Pizza:
- 2 boneless, skinless Chicken Breasts
- 1.5 cup BBQ Sauce, divided
- 1 teaspoon Sea Salt, divided
- 6-8 ounces Mozzarella Cheese, thinly sliced
- ½ of a Red Onion, sliced thinly
- A pinch of cracked Black Pepper
- ¼ cup Cilantro leaves, chopped
- ¼ teaspoon Red Chili Flakes (Optional)
- ¼ cup shredded Parmesan Cheese (Optional)
For the Dough:
- In a large mixing bowl, add lukewarm water, yeast, and ½ cup bread flour. Whisk to combine well and let sit for 30 min.
- Add cold water and olive oil. Whisk to combine.
- Whisk in sugar and salt.
- Add in remainder of flour and mix first with a spatula and then with hands to form a dough ball.
- Knead the dough on a clean and lightly floured surface (or even right in the mixing bowl) for a few minutes to make sure everything is well incorporated.
- Lightly oil the mixing bowl and place dough ball inside. Cover with plastic wrap and keep in a warm spot for at least 1 hour to rise. You can do this the night before with great results, just store in fridge after an hour or two of letting it rise.
For the BBQ Chicken Pizza:
- Preheat oven to 375º F.
- Place chicken onto an ovenproof dish.
- Pour 1/2 cup BBQ sauce right over the chicken, slather it all around and add ½ teaspoon salt.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until chicken is done.
- After it comes out of the oven, toss in a mixer to let it shred, or let cool for a few minutes and slice into thin bite-sized pieces.
- To cook on the grill, start by heating up your coals and place pizza stone onto the grill to preheat.
- To cook in the oven, place pizza stone (or an upside down baking sheet) into oven and increase oven temperature to 500º F. Let it preheat for 30 minutes before putting in the pizza.
- Use half the dough for one pizza. Keep the other half covered and store that one for later in the fridge.
- Use fingers or rolling pin to form a thin crust on a lightly cornmealed surface or on parchment paper.
- Place the crust onto a pizza paddle or parchment paper.
- Add ½ cup BBQ sauce onto crust and spread it around (leaving the edges clean).
- Add cheese (again, avoid edges of crust), chicken, and red onion.
- Sprinkle with ½ teaspoon salt and a pinch of cracked black pepper.
- Slide the pizza right onto pizza stone.
- Allow pizza to cook/bake for 10 minutes or until cheese is bubbly and crust is crisped up and golden brown.
- Remove from oven and add chopped cilantro.
- Top with some parmesan cheese and red chili flakes, if desired. Slice and enjoy!
Have you made pizza at home before… or on the grill? I’d love to hear your favorite flavors and tips!