Refined coconut oil is mild-tasting with a slightly tropical flavor, and it can take a higher heat than olive oil when sauteing or frying, which is helpful with this recipe! Okra is high in fiber and potassium. It’s also awfully hard to sneak past some kids. This colorful, nutritious hash uses the buddy system and pairs it with sweet potatoes and sweet peppers to give it a bit more kid appeal. Whip up this recipe from my cookbook for dinner tonight!
Cook Time: 1-30 min
- 2 Tablespoons refined coconut oil
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 cups peeled and finely diced sweet potato
- 3 cups (1/4-inch thick) sliced okra
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup finely chopped yellow bell pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the onion and cook, stirring until translucent, about 2 minutes.
- Add the sweet potatoes, cover, and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the okra, bell peppers, and smoked paprika and cook uncovered until the sweet potatoes are tender, 10 to 12 minutes. Do not stir for the last 6 to 8 minutes of cooking so that a bit of brown crust forms on the hash.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.