Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
1/4 cup soy sauce
2 green onions, thinly sliced
One 3/4-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled, grated
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
1 tsp. toasted sesame oil
1/3 cup kimchi, drained, finely chopped
1/3 cup mayonnaise
Four 5-oz. frozen beef burger patties
4 hamburger buns, toasted
1 tbs. vegetable oil
Spicy Ginger Pickles (recipe follows)
1 cup (not packed) cilantro sprigs
- In medium bowl, mix brown sugar, soy sauce, green onions, ginger, garlic, and sesame oil. Set basting sauce aside.
- In small bowl, mix kimchi and mayonnaise. Set kimchi mayo aside.
- Prepare grill for medium-high heat.
- Season patties with salt and pepper. Grill frozen patties about 4 minutes. Turn patties over, brush with some basting sauce, and grill about 4 minutes for medium-rare doneness.
- Spread kimchi mayo over bun bottoms. Top with patties, then generously brush more basting sauce over patties. Divide pickles among burgers. Top with cilantro and bun tops and serve.
Spicy Ginger Pickles
Makes: about 3 cups
1 1/2 cups rice vinegar
1 1/2 cups water
1/4 cup sugar
4 tsp. kosher salt
1/2 English (hothouse) cucumber, thinly sliced
1 small white onion, thinly sliced into rounds
1 jalapeño pepper, thinly sliced
2 tsp. finely chopped peeled fresh ginger
- In small saucepan, combine vinegar, water, sugar, and salt and bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring until sugar and salt dissolve.
- In medium nonreactive (glass, stainless steel, or ceramic) bowl, combine cucumber, onion, jalapeño, and ginger. Pour vinegar mixture over cucumber mixture and gently press to help submerge it. As mixture cools, vegetables will soften and become completely submerged.
- Refrigerate, uncovered, for at least 1 hour, or until completely cool, before serving.