We’re a couple of coffee drinkers, this here Mr. and Mrs. Schlapman. Sometimes an afternoon pick-me-up is in order. A tin of these butterscotch chocolate toffee bars stashed away in the kitchen is . . . well . . . nothing short of a home run with the Mister. With all the comings and goings around here, it’s nice to sit down, take five, and be sweet.
Schlap Happy Bars
Yield: 12 Bars
- 2 sticks (½ pound) butter, at room temperature
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ¾ cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 2¼ cups self-rising flour
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chunks
- 1 cup butterscotch baking chips
- One 12-ounce bag miniature toffee bars, broken into pieces
1. Preheat the oven to 375˚F. Grease a 9 x 13-inch baking pan.
2. Beat together the butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar, and vanilla in a large bowl until creamy. Add the eggs one at a time, stirring to combine after each one. Add the flour a little at a time and stir to combine after each addition. Stir in the chocolate chunks, butterscotch chips, and toffee chunks. Evenly spread the dough in the baking pan.
3. Bake until golden brown around the edges, 20 to 25 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes. Cut into 12 bars and enjoy.