Apples and great boots, cozy knits and pumpkin spice, cuddles, crackling fires and hearty dishes… the epitome of fall. Deliciously sweet and heartwarming foods, something cozy to wear and beautiful colors painted across natures landscape are always something we look forward to; and so does just about everyone on social media!
While our Instagram accounts are blowing up with #PSL, we thought we take on the other autumn flavor with a Salted Caramel Apple Galette! It’s flaky and delicious and delivers all the flavor explosions of the best apple pie, with a little less hassle! And the scent that fills the home? Priceless!
Salted Caramel Apple Galette
Ingredients for Crust:
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) cold unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup ice cold water
Ingredients for Filling:
- Make the crust: Whisk the flour, sugar, and salt together in a medium bowl. Using a pastry cutter or forks, cut in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse, pea-sized crumbs. Add the water and stir until the flour is moistened. Add 1 more Tablespoon of water if the dough seems dry. Gently knead the dough a few times on a lightly floured work surface until it all comes together. Shape the dough into a ball and flatten it into a thick disk. Wrap it in plastic wrap and refrigerate it for at least 1 hour and up to 3 days (or freeze up to 3 months).
- As the dough chills, prepare the filling: Mix the apples, brown sugar, flour, lemon juice, cinnamon, and nutmeg together in a large bowl. Cover tightly and let sit until the dough is ready.
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. Set aside.
- On a lightly floured work surface, roll the dough into a 12-inch circle (or any shape, really!). Trim the rim of the circle to make a clean cut if desired. Transfer dough to the prepared baking sheet.
- Arrange the apples (not the juices) into the center of the dough, leaving a 2-3 inch border all around. Gently fold the edges of the dough over the apples, overlapping the dough as necessary. Press gently to seal the edges. Brush the crust edges with egg wash. Drizzle caramel over the filling and sprinkle course kosher salt over top.
- Bake for 35 minutes or until the filling is bubbly and the crust is golden brown. Allow to cool on the baking sheet for 10 minutes before slicing and serving.
- Optional: Serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and extra caramel sauce drizzled on top.