The low-carb life doesn’t have to be boring, especially when it comes to tacos! There’s so much flavor and texture in every bite of these Jicama tacos. On top of that, Jicama helps promote healthy digestion and balanced immunity – as if we needed another reason to love this handheld dish. These tacos would be perfect for your next cookout, party or game day gathering. Whatever event it may be, you will have all of the guests gushing over this twist on the classic taco!
Butter Lettuce Jicama Tacos
Yield: Serves 6-8
- Orange-chipotle vinaigrette (see below)
- 2 cups jicama, grated
- ½ cup chayote, grated
- 1 whole orange, segmented, with each segment cut in 3
- ¼ cup Cotija cheese, crumbled
- ¼ cup pomegranate seeds
- 6-8 Boston lettuce leaves
For the vinaigrette
- 1 whole orange, juiced
- 1 tablespoon coconut vinegar
- 1 tablespoon chipotle adobo
- 1 tablespoon agave syrup
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ¼ cup olive oil
- In a small bowl, make vinaigrette by whisking together 2 tablespoons of the orange juice, coconut vinegar, chipotle adobo, agave, lemon juice and olive oil.
- Toss jicama and chayote with vinaigrette. Season with salt and pepper.
- Spoon about 1/3 cup jicama-chayote mixture into the center of each Boston lettuce leaf.
- Divide orange pieces among the lettuce leaf tacos. Sprinkle Cotija cheese and pomegranate seeds evenly over each taco.