Certain scents can instantly transport us to another place and time; that’s why having the right perfume can be so empowering. As women we can play with different fragrances to make us feel more confident, energized, sexy, or relaxed. As Christian Dior says “A woman’s perfume tells more about her than her handwriting,” so I’ll help you find your signature scent to show the world.
Before dipping into some heady scents, here’s a breakdown on fragrance terms:
- Eau de Cologne: Two to five percent perfume oil mixed with alcohol and water. It will include light essential oils.
- Eau de Toilette: Five to fifteen percent perfume oil, mixed with alcohol instead of water. It’s stronger than Eau de Cologne as the water used is often geranium, lavender, lilac, or violet water.
- Eau de Parfum: Fifteen to eighteen percent perfume oil, mixed with alcohol, this is a heavier fragrance that can have a variety of aromatic scents/oils in it.
- Perfume: Fifteen to thirty percent perfume oil mixed with alcohol, it contain the highest percentage of essential oils making the most powerful fragrance.
Each different fragrance will also be built off of fresh, woody, floral, or spiced aromatic notes that will determine the mood of each scent.
Flowery notes like rose, carnation, lavender, orange blossom, and violet
Earthy notes like bergamot, oakmoss, labdanum, and patchouli
Clean and crisp notes like citrus, apricot, apple, peach or fresh grass
Warm notes like vanilla, incense resins, amber and musk
To show off your new knowledge of fragrances try out:
- Eau de Parfum for a sensual scent of spiced earth and fresh flower notes, by Sofia Vergara
- Pheromone Red Eau de Parfum for a deep scent of wood musk and layers of flowers by Marilyn Miglin
- Viva La Juicy Gold Couture Eau de Parfum for a warm scent of vanilla and caramel paired with flowers by Juicy Couture
- Fiori Eau de Parfum Spray for refreshing scent of light woods and bright citrus and flowers by Vince Camuto
What is your favorite fragrance to wear?