Crispy, crunchy, sweet, and savory–that’s what wonton dreams are made of. Wonton wrappers are so easy to use and can lead to some interesting kitchen creations like quick raviolios, crepes, empanadas, and more. My recipe for Honey Crab Wontons brings all the traditional tastes of crab and cream cheese wontons mixed with fresh jicama and honey for a refreshingly sweet flavor. Try this restaurant favorite at home ASAP!
Yields about 40
- 1 pound Maine crabmeat, or other lump crabmeat
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 cup peeled and diced jicama
- 3 tablespoons thinly sliced chives
- ¼ cup cream cheese, at room temperature
- Kosher salt and freshly ground
- black pepper
- 1 package thin square wonton wrappers
- 1 egg beaten with 1 tablespoon water, for egg wash
- Canola oil for frying
- In a medium bowl, combine the crabmeat, 1 tablespoon of the honey, the jicama, 2 tablespoons of the chives and the cream cheese. Season with salt and pepper and blend.
- Place 1 wonton wrapper on a work surface with 1 corner nearest you. Place 1 scant tablespoon of the filling in the center of the wrapper, moisten the edges with the egg wash, and fold the bottom half over the top to create a triangular dumpling. Bring the left and right sides under the dumpling, moisten the points with the egg wash, and pinch together to seal. Repeat with the remaining wrappers and filling.
- Fill your Simply Ming 13″ Technolon+ Jumbo Wok one-third full with oil. Over high heat, bring to 350°F on a deep-frying thermometer. Add the wontons in batches and fry until golden brown, about 2 minutes. Remove with a large mesh spoon and drain on paper towels. Repeat with the remaining wontons.
- Transfer to a platter, drizzle with the remaining 1 tablespoon honey, sprinkle with the remaining chives, and serve.