One of the easiest ways to infuse a dish with lots of flavor without adding extra carbs is through a marinade. Grilled chicken set in a lime tequila marinade for even a few hours before cooking can make a huge difference in taste and tenderness. Whip up this marinade ahead of time and try these healthy chicken fajitas for a quick and satisfying meal. Garnish with fresh toppings like our Pico de Gallo recipe too!
Yields: 6 Servings
For the Marinade:
- ½ cup olive oil
- Juice of 2 limes
- 1 Tbs. Tequila
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeno or other hot chile, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 Tbs. fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 Tbs. fresh oregano, chopped (or 1 ½ tsp. Dried Oregano)
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. salt
For the Fajitas:
- 12 boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1 ½” strips
- 2 poblano, anaheim or pasilla chiles
- 2 red bell peppers
- 2 red or green jalapenos (optional)
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- lime wedges for garnish
For the Pico de Gallo
- 2 cups fresh tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup fresh cilantro (about 1 bunch), chopped
- 1 or more jalapenos, seeded and finely chopped
- Juice of ½ lime
- 1 tsp. salt
- Mix all ingredients for the marinade together in a small bowl. Place chicken thighs in a non-reactive dish or zip-lock bag, pour marinade over chicken and marinate for up to 2 hours at room temperature or 8 to 12 hours in the refrigerator. If refrigerated, bring the chicken to room temperature before cooking.
- Cut peppers into strips, toss with olive oil, and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Remove chicken from the marinade, and pat dry before cooking. If using the Philips Airfryer, add chicken to bottom of Airfryer, add in peppers. Cook for approximately 15 minutes.
- If using outdoor grill, lightly oil grill to keep chicken from sticking. Heat grill to medium high heat. Grill the thighs, covered, over medium-high heat for 3 to 7 minutes per side until done. Move to a cooler place on the grill if flare-ups occur. The chicken is done at an internal temperature of 165 degrees or when meat is no longer pink but is still juicy when cut. Grill peppers using a vegetable basket at the same time, approximately 10 to 12 minutes or until charred lightly from the grill, stirring or shaking basket frequently.
- Squeeze lime juice over chicken and sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste. Garnish
- with sliced limes and serve with warm corn or flour tortillas with the mixed Pico de Gallo.
What’s your favorite topping to add on fajitas?