- Serves: 4
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Make-Ahead: The pesto can be made 2 days ahead, covered and refrigerated.
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 1/2 bunches fresh basil leaves (about 1 1/2 cups lightly packed)
- 1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup pine nuts, toasted
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Chicken and Spaghetti
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 9 ounces dried spaghetti
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted, for garnish
- 1 ounce Parmesan cheese, shaved, for garnish
- 2 tablespoons torn basil leaves, for garnish
To make the pesto:
- Using the Curtis Stone Bump and Grind or another large mortar and pestle, smash the garlic into a coarse puree. Add the basil and pound until it is coarsely chopped. Mix in the cheese. Add the nuts and smash to break them up. Slowly mix in the oil. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
To cook the chicken:
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. In the Curtis Stone 12-inch-diameter fry pan, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil over high heat. Sprinkle the chicken breasts generously with salt and pepper. Cook the chicken for about 2 minutes per side, or just until golden brown but not yet cooked through.
- Remove the pan from the heat. Spread the pesto over the top of the chicken breasts. Transfer the pan to the oven and bake the chicken for about 8 minutes, or until it is just cooked through.
Meanwhile, to cook the pasta:
- Fill the Curtis Stone 8-quart stock pot with salted water and bring to a boil over high heat. Add the spaghetti and cook, stirring occasionally to prevent it from sticking, for about 8 minutes, or until al dente. Drain, reserving 1/2 cup of the pasta cooking water in the Curtis Stone 10-inch-diameter fry pan over medium heat.
- Whisk 1 tablespoon of oil into the reserved pasta cooking water to blend well. Add the spaghetti and parsley and toss to coat.
- Using a two-pronged carving fork, swirl some of the pasta around the fork. Slide the pasta off the fork and mound it in the center of a plate. Repeat for each serving.
- Cut each chicken breast crosswise and on a slight diagonal into 4 slices. Arrange the chicken slices alongside the spaghetti. Garnish with the pine nuts, cheese, and basil. Drizzle the remaining 1 tablespoon oil over and serve.