Comfort foods—meat and potatoes, salty and sweet—we all crave them and with my Chicken Tenders and Sweet Potato Fries recipe you can have your fill of flavor! This is a quick, dinner recipe that can be prepped ahead of time and that will cook in less than 20 minutes which is perfect for busy moms or last minute party plans. My halogen oven is key for getting a good crisp on the chicken without having to deep fry every piece, and another trick is to spray the tenders with a non-stick spray after coating to keep the breading intact. Your family, friends, and stomach will thank you for upgrading chicken tender night into a culinary event.
1 pound chicken tenders, thawed
1 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon Poultry Seasoning
½ teaspoon paprika
½ lemon, juice from
1 dash kosher salt
1 dash coarse black pepper
3 whole eggs, beaten
1 cup seasoned bread crumbs
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
Non-stick cooking spray
- Place the buttermilk, poultry seasoning, paprika, lemon juice, salt and pepper in a bowl and mix well. Add the chicken to the buttermilk mixture and coat the chicken with the buttermilk. Refrigerate for 2 hours or up to overnight.
- Place the eggs in a mixing bowl and whisk well. In separate bowls mix the breadcrumbs together with the garlic powder, and onion powder.
- Spray the low cooking rack with the nonstick cooking spray.
- Remove the chicken from the buttermilk marinade and coat the chicken in the egg mix. Once covered with egg place the egg-coated chicken into the bread crumb mix one strip at a time and coat the chicken well with the breading.
- Place the chicken on the low cooking rack without the extender ring. Spray chicken with non-stick cooking spray to allow to crisp and keep bread crumbs from coming off in the oven. Set for 7 minutes on 400 degrees and start. When done flip the chicken over and cook another 7 minutes or until internal temperature reads 165 degrees.
For Sweet Potatoes:
2 whole Sweet potatoes, sliced into ¼ inch strips
1 ½ Tablespoon grape seed oil
½ teaspoon ginger
¼ teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon salt
- Slice Sweet potatoes ¼ inch, or use my mandoline slicer on Julienne function to slice evenly and quickly
- Toss in grape seed oil and season with remaining ingredients.
- Cook on top rack in halogen oven at 400 degrees for 5 minutes, turn, and cook an additional 5 minutes or until tender and crisp.
These chicken tenders and sweet potato fries would also go great with some different dipping sauces like a honey mustard, barbeque, or cool ranch.
What are your favorite comfort foods?