- 1 (3 1/4-pound) brisket (preferably the thinner cut), trimmed but leaving a thin layer of fat
- ½ cup canola oil
- 2 carrots peeled and diced
- 1 large white onions peeled and diced
- 1 heads garlic roughly chopped
- 2 leeks
- 5 ribs of celery
- 4 cups diced tomatoes
- 2 sprigs Rosemary
- 8 sprigs Thyme
- 1 ½ cup cognac
- 11/2 bottle red wine Chicken stock
- Season the brisket with salt and let stand for 20 minutes. Heat a large dutch oven over medium heat add the oil Sear brisket on all sides.
- In same pot, caramelize the mirepoix starting with the onions and garlic. The when halfway browned add the carrots. Then the celery and leeks last.
- Deglaze with red wine and cognac and add tomatoes and salt
- Add briskets back to pot with the herbs.
- Cover with chicken stock/ water bring up to a boil over moderate heat. Reduce heat and simmer till fork tender.
- Remove the briskets and put into deep pans.
- Strain the liquid and mirepoix through a china cap, but do not press too hard.
- Reduce liquid by 1/3, season and pour back over briskets. Cool overnight.
What tips would you add when making brisket?