Heat things up in the kitchen with my sweet recipe for flambéed bananas, also commonly known as bananas foster. This dessert recipe is really very easy to execute, while it will give your friends and family the impression that you’re a culinary expert. Included in this drunken bananas recipe are also directions for how to prepare a simple and delicious spiced ice cream that can be the perfect complement for a variety of different holiday pies and cakes this season.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 6 minutes
* Notes: The spiced ice cream can be made up to 3 days ahead, kept frozen. The flambéed bananas must be served as soon as they are made.
For the Spiced Ice Cream:
- 1 pint vanilla ice cream
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- Large pinch of ground cloves
For the Flambéed Bananas:
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup (packed) dark brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 medium bananas, peeled
- 1/2 cup golden rum
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
To Make the Spiced Ice Cream:
- In a large bowl, break up the ice cream with a spoon, then quickly mix in the nutmeg, ginger, and cloves. Cover the ice cream and return it to the freezer. Keep the ice cream frozen until ready to serve.
To Cook the Bananas:
- In a Curtis Stone 12-inch Multipurpose Pan with Dura-Pan non-stick, melt the butter over medium heat. Stir in the brown sugar, lemon juice, and cinnamon. Slice the bananas in half lengthwise and lay the bananas cut side down in the butter mixture. Cook for about 3 minutes, or until the bananas are caramelized on the underside and the sugar mixture has melted and become golden brown.
- Remove the pan from the heat. Add the rum. Using a long match, carefully ignite the rum. Be sure to do this in a well-ventilated area and away from any flammable material. Allow the flame to burn out. Turn the bananas over. Return the pan to medium heat and stir in the cream. Baste the bananas with the caramel sauce for about 1 minute.
- Divide the bananas between four plates. Spoon some sauce over the bananas. Top each with a scoop of ice cream, and then drizzle the remaining sauce over and around the ice cream and bananas. Serve immediately.
Who will you enjoy this drunken bananas with spiced ice cream recipe with?