Happy April Sewing Friends!
Time for a fresh start… a new beginning as the skies clear and we shift our focus to springtime. If you’ve watched any of the Spring/Summer fashion previews you know that color and print blocking is a big part of the scene. Here’s an easy and inexpensive way to show your ” Sock it to me, Baby! ” attitude by adding a POP of color on an otherwise plain lapel. This quick and easy craft project can also adorn a purse, your favorite hat or an everyday tote. Check out this alternative use for the circular stitching attachment!
- 1/2 yd. silk burn-out
- 1/2 yd. iron-on tear away stabilizer
- beverage glass with a 3″ opening, a steam iron,
- Two 8″ x 8″ squares of felt fused together with wonder-under
- Cut a 2″ strip crosswise on the silk strip
- Iron the shiny side of the stabilizer to the backside of the silk
- Using your glass or monkey dish, trace circles ( at least 55–3″ diameter ) onto the paper and carefully cut out the circles along the lines
- Press the circles in half/press the half circle in half/then press the quarter circle in half again
- Insert the circular stitching pin into the center of the fused felt piece and move the screw to the largest setting
- Place the tip of a silk triangle in front of the stitching path. Once anchored, continue to place and stitch around the circle
- Lift the presser foot and readjust the screw to 1/2″ —3/4” from where it was and repeat this process until you sew around the smallest circle
- Set your serger to 3-thread rolled hem and clean finish the 3″ strip on both long sides
- Gather the serged strip down the center and wrap the gathered edge around a pencil and stitch together through all the layers
- Now sew your serged flower into the center of your circular flower
- Trim the felt square to within 1/2” from the outer circle. Accessorize at your discretion!
I hope you’ve been enjoying your sewing journey. It’s fun to find new alternative uses for presser feet .
TIP* If you don’t have a circular stitching attachment , you can still make this flower but you’ll have to peek under the petals to keep on the circle markings.
TIP**If you don’t have a serger, you can make a tiny rolled hem on your sewing machine for the silk strip gathered in the flower’s center.
TIP*** If you don’t have Wonder under to hold the felt square together, you can use temporary adhesive.
THERE ARE MANY WAYS TO COOK A POTATO—–and in sewing, there are many ways to execute a technique:) Be Brave, Be Bold and Have Fun!!~~
SINGER Today’s Special—-April 9th 12am, 1am, 7am, 8am, 12pm, 1pm, 5pm, 8pm, & 11pm!
April 14 & 16—–Laundry Room Solutions ———Times TBD——
See you next month! Thanks for stopping by~~~