Some hair tutorials are like a game of twister–one arm here, the other arm way over there, and somehow the bobby pin secured there while also applying a styling product? We’re dizzy just thinking about it. Thankfully, there’s a popular new style that cuts this multitasking drama. Slicked back hairstyles have become the pinnacle technique for a cool, elegant look that is no fuss. Here’s our tips on how to polish up your hairstyle with the slicked back look.
What You’ll Need:
- An elastic hair tie
- A broad brush & wide tooth comb
- A styling paste or gel for hold
- A finishing spray for shine and hold
1. Start with clean or day-old hair.
2. Begin by combing through hair with a wide tooth comb to remove all tangles. Running a straightener through strands after this point will ensure a sleeker ponytail but it’s not an absolute necessity.
3. Use a quarter sized amount of your chosen styling product and rub between both hands. Run it back from the top of your forehead and ears straight back through hair. A styling product like the 24K Texturizing Paste by Sally Hershberger is a good choice for those with finer hair that needs control but that can’t stand up to the weight of heavier gels.
4. Gather hair into a hair pony tail and hold there with one hand. Using the broad brush with the free hand comb hair back towards the pony tail and gather it into the rest. Once all of the hair is gathered and you’ve checked its free of bumps secure with the elastic.
5. Use a finishing spray to tame flyaways and give the style that sleek look. For added style take a quarter-inch thick piece of hair from the ponytail and wrap it around the elastic then pin the end underneath with a bobby pin. It hides the elastic and gives this look even more polish.
This hairstyle is great for when you want to show off statement earrings and accessories!
How will you wear this slicked back hairstyle?