The wrap dress is an effortless, timeless piece that should be in every wardrobe. This is a dress that fits and flatters every body type, and can be dressed up or down for any occasion. Created in 1974, the wrap dress united two of Diane von Furstenberg’s most popular designs–her cotton jersey shirt dress as well as her ballerina dress. Today, you can find the wrap dress everywhere, from nearly every designer.
Check out the video, and then keep reading for even more great tips for wearing this fun dress!
1. Wear it Night or Day
The wrap dress has a plunging neckline that is wonderful for any shape. It helps you shed pounds instantly: It is one of the few closet staples that will quickly cinch your midsection and whittle your waist. Wear it to work by day, and then dress it up for a night out with the addition of a a hot pair of heels .
A red wrap dress really draws the eye, but so does a fun animal print. No matter what your style or color palette, there is a wrap dress to fit it. Even one of my faux wrap dresses will do the trick!
2. Complement Your Body Type
To make sure that you are choosing the right wrap dress to complement your body type, keep these tricks in mind:
- Worried about a wrap dress showing off a tummy bulge? Look for a wrap dress that has a cinch at the side instead of a belted waist. The belt will draw the eye to the center of the dress, but a cinched waist draws the eye to the side.
- Prints can also hide any bumps or bulges better than a solid color will. If you have great curves, add a wide belt will do the trick!
- For taller women, look for a wrap dress that hits at mid-knee. The wrap dress elongates your already long legs. Women with full bustlines should opt for fuller coverage so that the look is proportionate which will minimize your silhouette and slenderize you. Not sure if it is the right fit? Take it to a tailor for a custom fit.
to really highlight your waistline. Then, layer on a blazer. Voila! A tiny waist!
3. Add Bold Colors and Accessories
If you are opting to wear a wrap dress in a bold color, pair it with less jewelry. Let the color, or the print, do the talking. A statement handbag is a the perfect addition to this bold look. And again, look to the belt: Simply adding a slim belt can give your dress a cleaner, minimalistic look.
Or, if your dress is black, or an understated color, never worry about adding that extra bit of pizzazz. Add a statement necklace or a chunky bracelet.
Find your perfect wrap dress and make it your own. Have more great style tips? Share them here!