Only 27 days until Thanksgiving and 56 days until Christmas and I’m suddenly wondering where did summer go?! But I absolutely love the holidays so you’ll hear no complaining here! Getting together with family and friends is so special to me during this upcoming time of year and with a few tips from a culinary expert like Kelsey Nixon, I’ve got some new ideas for how to minimize my holiday kitchen prep time and maximize my time with loved ones. Try out these tips with a recipe included for smooth sailing in the kitchen this holiday!
Kelsey Nixon’s Holiday Kitchen Prep Tips:
1. Remember ‘Mis En Place’
2. Make A Game Plan
3. Let The Kids Help
4. How To Cook That Crispy Turkey
Speaking of crispy turkey, I know that many of my friends will be preparing turkey for their traditional holiday meals but might still like to spice up the flavors. This Char-Broil Asian-style turkey recipe will do just that! Add brussel sprouts, sweet potatoes and corn to round out your plate too.
The Big Easy™ Asian-Style Turkey
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 2 hours, 30 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours, 45 minutes
Serving Size: 8-10 servings
- 1 10-12 pound natural turkey, (not self-basting)
For the Brine
- 1 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup salt
For the Rub
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons wasabi powder
*Notes: Marinate: 1 hour-overnight
- Remove the giblets and neck from both cavities.
- Rinse the turkey with cold water.
- Cut off the wing tips and little tail as they may be caught in The Big Easy’s fryer basket.
- Combine the soy sauce, sugar, and salt in a 40-60 quart pot. Add enough cold water to cover the turkey. Stir the liquid to distribute the seasonings evenly. Submerge the turkey in the water.
- Cover and refrigerate the turkey for 8 to 24 hours.
- Remove the turkey from the brine; then rinse it well, removing all sugar and salt.
- Pat the interior and exterior dry with paper towels.
- Drain the brining liquid.
- Stir together the salt, black pepper, and wasabi powder.
- Rub the spice mixture all over the turkey, inside and out.
- Place the turkey in the Big Easy™ fryer basket, breast side up; insert meat thermometer in breast.
- Cook the turkey for approximately 10 minutes per pound or until the internal temperature reaches 165°F.
- Carefully remove turkey from the basket.
- Allow the turkey to cool for 15 to 20 minutes before carving.
What’s one of your tips to do holiday kitchen prep like a pro?