On St. Patrick’s Day, everyone claims to be Irish, which makes for a fun holiday to celebrate with friends. This year, try indulging with a spiked cupcake instead of a drink for a fun twist on the classic Irish Coffee!
The trick to making these spiked cupcakes taste sweet, but not too strong is to use a quality whiskey for both the cupcake batter, and whipped cream frosting. A little will go a long way. Sprinkle a bit of espresso powder for an extra jolt, and festive presentation.
These Irish Coffee Cupcakes are the perfect St. Patrick’s Day sweet treat for grown-ups – enjoy!
Irish Coffee Cupcakes
Yield: 24 cupcakes
- 1 box chocolate cake mix (your favorite brand)
- 1 ¼ cup water
- ? cup oil (vegetable or olive oil)
- 3 eggs
- 2 tbsp Irish whiskey
- 1 tbsp instant espresso powder
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tbsp confectioners’ sugar
- 1 tbsp Irish whiskey
- Instant espresso powder, for dusting (optional)
1. Heat oven to 350 F. Place paper baking liners to a muffin pan.
2. To a bowl, mix together boxed cake mix, oil, water, eggs, and whiskey; gently stir in 1 tablespoon of espresso powder just until blended. Divide batter evenly among muffin cups (will make two batches). Bake and cool as directed on box for cupcakes (about 13-17 minutes).
3. Make the frosting: Whisk together cream and confectioners’ sugar until medium peaks form. Add whiskey; whisk until slightly stiff peaks form.
4. Remove muffin pan from oven, and allow to cool completely, at least 10 minutes, before frosting.
5. Top each cupcake with 2 tablespoons frosting; dust with espresso powder.