Blowing up all over the internet, instead of searching for freshly baked donut cones with ice cream, why not make your own?!
Sometimes, it’s more fun to try a new food trend out, but if you can make it at home, it’s that much better! Homemade cinnamon dusted dough, baked to taste like a warm donut topped with your favorite flavor of ice cream – is anything better?
Wrapping four sugar cones in aluminum foil first, help to give your own donut cones their shape. Add your favorite toppings, and dig on in!
Donut Ice Cream Cones
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 egg, whisked
For Garnish (optional):
- 2 Tbsp butter, melted
- cinnamon sugar (equal parts cinnamon and sugar, combined)
- Vanilla ice cream (or other flavor of choice)
- Optional garnishes: sprinkles, strawberries, candies, etc
- Build cone structures: take a square of aluminum foil pinch the center, and pull upwards. Bunch the hanging foil to create the shape of a cone roughly 6 inches high and 2 inches at the large end.
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the flour, sugar, salt and baking powder. Add in the butter and then gradually pour in the water, a little at a time, until a dough has formed. You may not need all the water. At this point you should have a smooth but not too sticky dough. If dough is sticky, gradually add a pinch of flour to even out.
- Divide dough into 4 equal portions and roll into a snake about 1-inch thick. Wrap the dough into a spiral motion over the cone, pressing it at the ends. Start at the tip and finish at the wide end.
- Make an egg wash by whisking one egg with 1 tablespoon of water. Set the cones upside down on a baking sheet and brush each with the egg wash.
- Bake for 17-19 minutes until golden. Remove by gently sliding the donut up and off the cone using an oven mitt. Brush with melted butter and roll in cinnamon sugar. Spread the inside of the cone with Nutella (hazelnut spread), if desired before adding a generous scoop of ice cream and the toppings of your choice.