Making a fresh pie doesn’t have to be complicated! With this free-form recipe, you can freeze your dough ahead of time and cut cook time in half. This peach and cherry pie recipe is bursting with fruity flavor!
Free-Form Peach and Cherry Pies
Make-Ahead: Unbaked pies can be formed and then frozen for up to 5 days. Bake frozen pies without thawing, but allow a few extra minutes to bake.
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tbs unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 lb (about 5) ripe but firm peaches, pitted, cut into 1/2-inch wedges
- 8 oz (about 2 cups) fresh cherries, pitted
- 8 disks All-Butter Pie Dough (see recipe)
- 2 tbs heavy cream
- 1 1/2 tbs coarse sanding sugar
- Lightly sweetened whipped cream or vanilla ice cream, for serving
- Place racks in lowest position and center of oven; preheat to 375°F.
- In large bowl, mix granulated sugar, flour, and cinnamon. Fold in peaches and cherries. Set aside, tossing fruit occasionally.
- Roll out each dough disk on lightly floured surface to 8 inch diameter. Arrange dough disks on 2 sheet pans.
- Divide fruit mixture among dough disks. Fold dough edges over portion of filling, softly pleating edges. Cover and chill 30 minutes, or until dough is cold and firm.
- Brush crusts with cream and sprinkle with sanding sugar. Bake 50 to 60 minutes, or until crusts are golden brown and filling is bubbling. If crusts begin to brown before filling bubbles, tent pies with foil. Cool slightly.
- Using small spatula, loosen pies from pans and transfer to plates. Serve warm or at room temperature with sweetened whipped cream or ice cream.