Sick of making the same cookies or cake for dessert each week? Switch things up with this Strawberry and Rhubarb Pavlova by Curtis Stone! Bursting with flavor and sweetness, this treat is one that you’ll want to make for every family dinner or weekend gathering.
PAVLOVA WITH STRAWBERRIES AND RHUBARB
Serves: 6 to 8
Prep Time: 30 minutes, plus 1 hour cooling time
Cook Time: 1 1/2 hours
Make-ahead: Meringue can be made up to 8 hours ahead, cooled, covered, and stored at room temperature.
- 6 large egg whites
- 1 3/4 cups superfine sugar
- 1 teaspoon distilled white vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons amaretto or other almond- flavored liqueur
- 3 tablespoons honey (preferably lavender honey)
- 6 ounces fresh rhubarb, thinly sliced diagonally
- 8 ounces small fresh strawberries, hulled and halved
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon pure almond extract
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped toasted pistachios
- Powdered sugar, for sifting
To make meringue:
- Position a rack in lower third of oven and preheat oven to 300°F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and draw an 8-inch circle on parchment.
- In bowl of a stand mixer fitted with whisk attachment, beat egg whites until foamy. Gradually add sugar, beating on medium- high speed for about 10 minutes, or until firm glossy peaks form. Beat in vinegar, vanilla, and salt. Sift cornstarch over meringue and gently fold it in.
- Using a large spoon, dollop meringue into center of circle on prepared baking sheet. Spread meringue decoratively, keeping it within circle (meringue will expand slightly as it bakes).
- Place Pavlova in oven, immediately reduce oven temperature to 225°F, and bake for about 1 hour, or until meringue is crisp on outside but still has a marshmallow-like center and puffs ever so slightly. Turn off oven, prop oven door open with a wooden spoon, and leave meringue in oven for 30 minutes, then remove from oven and cool completely.
To prepare fruit:
- In a medium heavy saucepan, whisk amaretto and honey over medium-high heat until mixture simmers. Add rhubarb and return mixture to a simmer, then immediately remove pan from heat. Set aside for about 5 minutes, or until rhubarb softens slightly but does not become mushy.
- Transfer rhubarb mixture to a medium bowl. Add strawberries and toss to coat. Set aside, tossing occasionally, for at least 30 minutes, or until strawberries have softened slightly.
- To assemble Pavlova, in a large bowl, using a handheld mixer, beat cream with almond extract until just thick enough to form loose dollops. Set meringue on a platter and spoon cream over it. Using a slotted spoon, arrange strawberry-rhubarb mixture on cream; reserve juices in bowl. Sprinkle Pavlova with pistachios and sift powdered sugar over it.
- Cut Pavlova into wedges and transfer to plates. Drizzle some of reserved strawberry-rhubarb juices around each wedge and serve immediately.