Packed with fresh flavors, these Steamed Veggie Wontons are healthy, and so fresh tasting; The perfect takeout fakeout!
I love ordering fried wontons when dining out, but if you’ve never tried steaming at home, you’re missing out. Homemade wontons from scratch are easier than you might think, especially if you take advantage of purchased wonton wrappers from your local grocery store.
The filling possibilities are endless, but I went with a classic filling using shredded cabbage, button mushrooms, grated carrots, and fresh herbs, like cilantro and ginger.
These Steamed Veggie Wontons are virtually guilt-free, and can be ready to inhale in 15 minutes or less!
Steamed Veggie Wontons
- 24 wonton wrappers
- 1/4 cup water, in a small bowl
- 1 cup green cabbage, shredded
- 3 tablespoons green scallion onions, chopped
- 1 cup carrots, shredded
- 1 cup white button mushrooms, diced finely
- 3 teaspoons fresh ginger knob, minced
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, chopped
- 1 teaspoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
1. In a large mixing bowl, combine shredded cabbage, scallions, grated carrot, mushrooms, ginger, soy sauce, red pepper flakes, honey, cilantro, rice wine vinegar, salt and pepper.
2. On a flat clean surface, assemble your wontons. Start with a wonton wrapper so it sits with one corner facing you (like a diamond). Dip your fingertip into the water bowl and coat all four edges of the wonton wrapper. Spoon 1 heaping teaspoon of the vegetable mixture in the center of the wrapper. Fold the wrapper in half, away from you, to form a triangle. Press the edges firmly together. Fold in the left corner over the center, then fold in the right corner on top. Seal with another brush of water. Repeat with remaining filling and wonton wrappers.
3. Steam the wontons in your steamer, for approximately 9 to 10 minutes in a single layer in the digital steamer. Repeat in batches as needed. For 24 wontons, you will do this in three batches.
4. Serve wontons warm, with a side of soy sauce, if desired.