If you enjoy French Onion Soup, you’re going to love this One-Pot Creamy French Onion Pasta! Loaded with caramelized onions cooked down in savory red wine, tossed in a creamy and delicious sauce, this French Onion Pasta will be a go-to comfort meal all fall, and winter long. Bonus: You can make this entire meal with just one pot!
This French Onion Pasta has all of the yummy components of soup; caramelized onions, shredded gruyere cheese, and fresh thyme. And because who doesn’t love bread, sliced baguette to accompany this one-pot cheesy goodness is a MUST!
Stir in silky cream, and freshly grated Parmesan cheese, and this one-pot wonder tastes like a cross between French Onion Soup, and a Pasta-like Stroganoff – so much yum!
One Pot Creamy French Onion Pasta
- 4 tbsp butter
- 2-3 sweet onions (about 2 cups)
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup red wine of choice
- 8 ounces button mushrooms sliced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups low sodium beef broth + 3/4 cups water
- 1 pound of your favorite short cut pasta (rigatoni used in photos)
- 2 bay leaves
- 2-3 fresh thyme sprigs, plus more for garnish
- 1 1/4 cups heavy cream
- 6 ounces gruyere cheese shredded
- 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese, grated (optional)
- Heat a large stock-pot over medium-high heat and add the butter. Add the onions, and cook about 10 minutes, stirring frequently, until softened. Slowly add the Balsamic, and the red wine, let them cook into the onions, add more and continue to cook. Do this until the the wine is gone or the onions are caramelized to your liking. Make sure the wine has evaporated. Do this in batches.
- Toss the mushroom and garlic in with the caramelized onions, season with salt and pepper, cook another 3-4 minutes or until the mushrooms are soft.
- Pour in the broth, and water; bring to a boil. Add pasta, bay leaves and thyme sprigs, cook, stirring often until most of the liquid has been soaked up by the pasta and the pasta is al dente.
- Stir in the cream, and let simmer 2-3 minutes to thicken. Stir in half the gruyere cheese and the Parmesan cheese. Cook 2 minutes and then remove from the heat. Top with the remaining cheese and place under the broiler for 1-2 minutes until the cheese is melted.
- Serve warm, top with fresh thyme and bread, if desired.