Popcorn popped with crispy, salty bacon is a decadent snack on its own. Maple syrup cooked down with butter, and a touch of bourbon, gives it a salty-sweet flavor profile that takes it over the top!
A tasty batch of Maple Bacon Bourbon Popcorn is THE best way to celebrate National Popcorn Day. The bacon will taste like a crisp candied-bacon, after roasting in the oven with a Maple Bourbon Sauce.
Using your favorite kernels, pop a batch in your popcorn maker, and get to work. This Maple Bacon Bourbon Popcorn recipe could not be easier – enjoy!
Maple Bacon Bourbon Popcorn
Makes 6-ish cups
- 1/3 cup popcorn kernels
- 1/2 cup chopped crispy bacon (5-6 strips)
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
- 2 Tbsp. Bourbon
- 1 Tsp Sea Salt
1. Using a microwave popcorn maker, pop 2 batches of your favorite kernels. Spread popcorn onto a single layer on the baking sheet, lined with parchment paper.
2. Heat the oven to 250 degrees. Disperse the chopped bacon on top of the popcorn. Set aside.
3. In a heavy bottom saucepan over medium-low heat, melt the maple syrup and butter together. Bring to a simmer, and continue to cook for 2-3 minutes, then remove from heat and stir in the bourbon and sea salt. Pour over the popcorn/bacon mixture and stir to evenly distribute the syrup mixture.
Bake 35-40 minutes, stirring frequently, until very fragrant and the syrup has started to harden. Remove from the oven and immediately toss. Transfer to a parchment-lined platter and break up any large pieces.