Mardi Gras season is upon us and before it ends (with Fat Tuesday), make sure to indulge with a little taste of King Cake!
Traditionally, King Cake is an oval-shaped bakery treat, in-between a coffee cake and a French pastry that is as rich in history as it is in flavor! It’s decorated in royal colors of purple, green, and gold which signify justice, faith and power. As delicious as it is in cake-form, there are easier ways to enjoy this Mardi Gras favorite.
Today, we’ll celebrate with a King Cake Dip and milkshake recipe! Both are delicious, take little time and are festive as can be! Of course, you can’t forget the baby – at any Mardi Gras party, when the King Cake is sliced and served, each person looks to see if their piece contains the baby. If so, then that person is named King or Queen for a day it becomes their duty to host the next party and provide the King Cake. Let the good times roll!
King Cake Dip
This King Cake Dip is incredibly easy to make, topped with caramel and pecans. You can serve this festive dip with vanilla wafers, or graham crackers, but if you’d like to get realllllly festive, you can dip pretzels into melted white chocolate and sprinkle in Mardi Gras colors. The choice is up to you!
- 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 8 ounces whipped topping, thawed
- 1 cup pecans, to garnish
- Caramel sauce for drizzle, to garnish
- To a mixing bowl, beat cream cheese with brown sugar, cinnamon and vanilla until fluffy. Fold in whipped topping with a spatula, until combined. Stir in pecans. Transfer to serving dish; top with caramel sauce, and extra pecans.
King Cake Milkshake
If you like to drink your sweets, this King Cake Milkshake is an absolute must! Blended using cake mix, and vanilla ice cream, topped with sprinkles, this shake is one of a kind. You can add in your favorite cake, or vanilla flavored spirit (generally vodka), or omit so that the kiddos can enjoy as well.
- 2 cups vanilla or cake batter ice cream
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup vanilla vodka (optional)
- 1/2 cup crumbled white, vanilla cake (or beignets!)
- Green, purple and yellow sprinkles, to garnish
- To a blender, add ice cream, cream cheese, milk and vodka (if using). Blend on low until mixture is smooth. Add additional vodka or ice cream to taste.
- Stir in the cake pieces with a spoon. Pour mixture into two drinking glasses. Garnish with sprinkles, if desired.