Fall is in full swing, and there’s nothing quite like a skillet of comforting goodness to enjoy the season on a chili night. With sweet potatoes, apples, Brussels sprouts and bacon, this healthy Harvest Chicken Skillet is packed with loads of fresh flavors, perfect for a fall meal.
I like to fry bacon in a skillet, before adding diced chicken so that the chicken, and then fresh veggies are cooked in bacon fat for full-on flavor. Simmered together with fresh thyme, cinnamon, and garlic, this skillet will be your go-to meal throughout the fall season!
This Harvest Chicken Skillet with Sweet Potatoes, Sprouts and Apples is one complete meal with little prep, or mess – enjoy!
Harvest Chicken Skillet with Sweet Potatoes, Sprouts and Apples
- 4 slices thick-cut bacon, chopped
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 tbsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 3 cups Brussels sprouts, trimmed and quartered
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 apples of your choice, peeled, cored and cut into 3/4 inch cubes
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp chopped fresh thyme sprigs (or ½ tsp dried spice)
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 cup chicken broth, divided
- To a large skillet, heat on medium heat, and add the chopped bacon. Cook until crisp and brown, and the fat has rendered, about 7-8 minutes. With a slotted spoon, transfer the bacon to a paper towel-lined plate. Drain all but 2 tablespoons bacon fat from the pan.
- Heat 1/2 tablespoon olive oil, with leftover bacon fat over medium high, until hot and shimmering. Add the diced chicken cubes, Kosher salt, and black pepper. Cook until lightly browned and cooked through, about 5-6 minutes. Transfer to plate lined with paper towels. Drain excess fat from chicken.
- Increase skillet heat to medium high. Add Brussels sprouts, sweet potato, and onion. Saute, stirring occasionally, until veggies are crisp-tender and the onions are beginning to look translucent, about 8-10 minutes.
- Stir in the apples, garlic, thyme, and cinnamon. Cook for 45 seconds, then pour in 1/2 cup of the chicken broth. Bring to a boil and cook until evaporated, about 3 minutes. Add the reserved chicken and remaining 1/2 cup broth. Cook until heated through, about 2 minutes. Stir in reserved bacon and serve warm.