Happy 2017! It’s time to forget about all the treats enjoyed last year, and detox with this Kale Salad. A healthy and filling plate loaded with antioxidant rich ingredients like chopped fresh kale, crisp apples, and almond slivers, tossed in a light, and refreshing lemon dressing.
Kale is such a super food, but it is a tougher green, for sure. The best trick to break it down, while retaining its good for you nutrients? Finely chopping said kale with a kitchen knife. Add in your favorite kind of apples, and nuts (we’re using almond for today’s salad), and you’re ready to begin the new year on a healthy note! Make sure to rinse your produce in a salad spinner, then toss in those almonds, and a handful of feta cheese, and we’re ready to eat!
Kale Detox Salad with a Lemon Vinaigrette
- 4 cups kale, torn, and finely chopped
- 2 cups apples, your choice, diced
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds (or chopped walnuts, pecans will also work)
- 1/2 cup feta cheese
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 tsp dry mustard
- 2 tbsp lemon juice, fresh lemon suggested
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- Kosher salt and pepper, to taste
Directions: Kale Salad
1. To a salad spinner, add finely chopped kale, and diced apples. Rinse well, and spin dry. Add in almonds, and feta cheese. Plate.
2. To your shaker, add all ingredients. Mix well. Toss kale salad in dressing to evenly coat greens.