Summer is HERE, and it has me craving ice cream often. Today we’re going to combine the best of two worlds; Key Lime Pie and Ice Cream, to make Key Lime Pie Ice Cream!
This ice cream is loaded with all of the familiar flavors of your favorite Key Lime Pie recipe, even the crunchy graham cracker crust.
I love making homemade ice cream using this ice cream maker. I was able to follow the recipe book that came with this machine, and it turned out perfectly! The only additions I made were to add in 4-ounces of fresh lime juice (this juicer is a time saver), and a graham cracker crumble to top at the end.
If making this ice cream using an ice cream maker, make sure to place the freezer bowl in your freezer the night before you plan to make this Key Lime Pie Ice Cream, so that come the day of you’re ready to go!
Key Lime Pie Ice Cream
Makes 5, 1/2 cup servings
- 1 cup whole milk
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- pinch salt
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 4 ounces fresh lime juice
- 2 tbsp lime zest, plus more for garnish if desired
For the graham cracker crust crumble:
- 3 graham cracker sheets, crushed in a resealable bag
- 2 tbsp melted butter
- In a medium bowl, whisk to combine the milk, sugar and salt until the sugar is dissolved. Stir in the heavy cream and lime juice. Cover and refrigerate 1 to 2 hours, or overnight.
- Turn on the ice cream maker; pour the mixture into the frozen freezer bowl and let mix until thickened, about 15 to 20 minutes. The ice cream will have a soft, creamy texture. If a firmer consistency is desired, transfer the ice cream to an airtight container and place in freezer for about 2 hours. Remove from freezer about 15 minutes before serving.
- To make the graham cracker crumble: mix melted butter, and cracker crumbs to a small saucepan or skillet; toast for 4-5 minutes. Set aside.
- Immediately before serving ice cream, top with graham cracker crumble, and extra lime zest if desired.