These hot cocoa cupcakes are THE dessert you’ll want to bring to all of your holiday soirées! These cupcakes are topped with a delicious marshmallow buttercream and made to look like little cups of hot cocoa; the not-so-secret ingredient? Rich, melted ChocoNuvo chocolate!
You could easily make a batch of hot cocoa cupcakes using a standard chocolate cake mix, but stirring in melted chocolate, will add a layer of flavor, that you just won’t get from a box!
A buttercream frosting, topped with mini marshmallows will make for a plate of adorably festive treats, that everyone will love! Add a fun paper straw, as garnish, to complete this fun, and tasty look!
Hot Cocoa Cupcakes
- 6 oz ChocoNuvo, broken into pieces
- 3/4 cup (1-1/2 sticks) butter or margarine
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 2-1/2 cups flour, divided
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 ½ cups water
- ¾ cup cocoa powder
- 8-ounces cream cheese, softened at room temperature
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 8-ounces marshmallow cream
- Preheat oven to 350F. Microwave ChocoNuvo and butter in large microwaveable bowl on low power 2 minutes, or until butter is melted. Stir until chocolate is completely melted. Stir in sugar. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating with electric mixer on low speed after each addition until well blended. Add vanilla; mix well.
- Add 1/2 cup of the flour, the baking soda and salt; beat until well blended. Add remaining 2 cups flour alternately with water, beating until well blended after each addition. Pour cupcakes into a cupcake lined tin, fill ⅔ full.
- Bake for 19-21 minutes. Remove from oven, and allow to cool 4-5 minutes. Transfer cupcakes to cooling grid, until completely cooled.
- While cupcakes cool, whisk together cream cheese, marshmallow cream, powdered sugar, and cocoa powder.
- Frost cupcakes using your favorite pastry bag, and icing tip (or a spatula will also work!). Garnish with mini marshmallows.