This refreshing tart is the perfect dessert to celebrate summer all season long! With a light tasting coconut custard, topped with fresh, sliced kiwis, it will be hard to resist more than one slice.
The best part about this tart, is that you can make the shell, and custard filling the day before! I am all about make ahead desserts in the summer – this means there is more time to visit with friends and family, instead!
If you’ve never sliced a kiwi before, I promise it is very simple; simply slice each end of the kiwi. Then using a spoon, you can scoop the inside out. Once removed, you can slice thin before layering over this tart.
The coconut custard has more than enough coconut flavor, but feel free to top each slice with shredded coconut for flair, and taste.
Kiwi Coconut Tart
- 1 prepared pie pastry crust for a 9” pan (store bought or homemade is fine)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 can (14 ounces) coconut milk
- 4 large egg yolks
- 6-8 kiwis, sliced
- 3 tbsp coconut flakes, for garnish (optional)
- Make pie crust to package directions. Allow shell to completely cool in pie pan before filling.
- In a medium saucepan (off heat), whisk together sugar, cornstarch, and salt. Gradually whisk in whole milk, making sure to dissolve cornstarch. Whisk in coconut milk and egg yolks.
- Whisking constantly, cook over medium until custard thickens, about 10 minutes. Reduce heat to low; cook, whisking constantly, 1 minute. Remove pan from heat; immediately pour custard into cooled crust.
- Smooth top of custard with a silicone spatula. Refrigerate until chilled, at least 4 hours (or loosely covered, up to 1 day). To serve, let stand at room temperature 30 minutes, then top with kiwi slices. Top with coconut flakes, if desired.