This decadent combination of thick chocolate custard and smooth, salty caramel-peanut sauce is inspired by the candy bar, made popular in Nashville, Tennessee!
Chocolate Custard Caramel Parfaits are such an indulgent treat! They sound complicated, but by making a no-bake custard, and then layering with a store-bought caramel sauce, these parfaits will come together in under 30 minutes.
Add a dollop of homemade whipped cream, and a few shavings of quality chocolate, and everyone who tries these, will be singing your praises.
Chocolate Custard Caramel Parfaits
- 1/2 cup milk
- 4 tbsp sugar
- 2 large egg yolks
- 6 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped, plus more, for garnish
- Pinch of salt
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup caramel sauce (store-bought is fine)
- 1/2 cup roasted peanuts
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tbsp powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- To make the custard, in a small saucepan, combine the milk and sugar and heat until steaming and the sugar is dissolved. Put the egg yolks in a small bowl and gradually whisk in the hot milk. Return the mixture to the saucepan and cook over moderate heat, whisking constantly, until slightly thickened, 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from heat, add the chopped chocolate and salt and whisk until smooth. Whisk in the butter. Pour the custard into 4 shallow bowls (or wine glasses for presentation!) and refrigerate briefly, about 10-15 minutes, to set.
- While custard is setting, to a small bowl, combine caramel sauce and peanuts. Mix well. Set aside.
- To make the whipped cream; beat cream, powdered sugar and vanilla in large bowl until stiff peaks form.
- Remove chilled custard from refrigerator. Allow to come to room temperature, about 5-7 minutes. Spoon the peanut-caramel sauce over the custard and garnish with whipped cream and shaved chocolate. Dig right in, and enjoy!