This candy sushi recipe makes fun sushi look-alikes using homemade Rice Krispies, gummy worms, and other premade candies! It’s the perfect treat to celebrate April Fool’s Day.
From far away, this candy sushi looks like actual sushi rolls, but as you get closer, you’ll see it’s full of fun sweet treats instead.
To make these candy sushi rolls, you’ll want to start by making a batch of homemade Rice Krispies. This serves as the base or, ‘rice’ to your roll. Spreading a very thin layer using a baking sheet is key – the thinner the layer, the easier it will be to form a roll of ‘sushi’.
From there you can use any combination you like! I opted to fill my rolls with gummy worms, but any candy would work! Fruit leathers wrapped around each roll gives the look of a wrap, around you roll.
This is such a fun way to fool someone, and then redeem yourself with a fun dessert!
Candy Sushi Recipe
Makes 24 rolls
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 10-ounce package mini marshmallows
- 6 cups crispy rice cereal
- 36 gummy worms
- 36 strips fruit leather
- 30 fish-shaped gummy candies
- In large saucepan melt butter over low heat. Add marshmallows and stir until completely melted. Remove from heat.
- Add cereal, and stir until well coated.
- Using wax paper evenly press mixture into a baking pan coated with cooking spray. Let Cool.
- With the short side of the baking sheet nearest you, place a pair of gummy worms an inch from the edge. Place another pair directly below, and repeat until you have a line of worms stretching across the baking sheet.
- Using the waxed paper to help you, roll the cereal mixture around the gummy worms, pressing firmly to make a tight roll. Take a large sharp knife and cut the log away from the rest of the mixture. Place it off to the side, and repeat the worms/rolling/cutting procedure for the remainder of the cereal.
- Slice the logs into 1-inch rounds. Wrap each round in a strip of fruit leather.
- To make the fish-topped “nigiri,” repeat steps 1-4 to make the rice candy base, but do not press the rice mixture as thinly. It should be about ¾ inch thick once pressed into the baking sheet.
- Cut the candy into rectangles about ¾ inch thick. Place a candy fish on top of each rectangle, and wrap a ½-inch strip of fruit leather around the entire package.