Outrageously delicious Tomato Soup Shooters topped with grilled cheese bites! This fancy looking combo is excellent for a crowd.
Happy National Grilled Cheese Day! Celebrate today or all month long (April is National Grilled Cheese MONTH, after all) with a fun twist on the classic combination of Grilled Cheese and Tomato Soup. Garnish your shots of soup with fresh basil for a sweet, and earthy flavor.
This recipe is the perfect party appetizer, since everyone gets to enjoy their own ‘shot’ of tomato soup and a bite of gooey, melted grilled cheese. Friends will be stoked to celebrate today with you, thanks to this fun presentation – cheers!
Grilled Cheese Bites with Tomato Soup Shooters
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1/2 small yellow onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp flour
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 14-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- Fresh basil
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
Grilled Cheese Bites
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 slices bread of choice
- 2 slices cheese of choice (Sharp Cheddar suggested)
1. In a heavy bottom sauce pan, saute the onions and garlic over low to medium heat until they become translucent, 3-4 minutes.. Stir in the flour and cook over low heat for 4-6 minutes.
2. Slowly add the tomato sauce whisking out any lumps that may have formed from the flour mixture. Add crushed tomatoes and fresh basil and simmer for 15 minutes. Pour in heavy cream and simmer for an additional 5 minutes on low to medium heat.
3. Using an immersion hand blender, pulse until smooth consistency is achieved (no chunks). Season with salt and pepper. Fill 16 shooter glasses approx 3/4 full. Garnish with basil, if desired.
Grilled Cheese Bites
1. Butter one slice of bread on both sides and set aside. Using a cast iron skillet or non-stick skillet, heat one tablespoon of butter in your skillet over medium heat. Let the butter melt completely and then lay your slice of buttered bread into the skillet and top with a slice of cheese. Cover the skillet with a lid and let the cheese melt until it is almost entirely melted, for about 2-3 minutes.
2. Layer 2 slices cheese on bread. Top with remaining bread, buttered side up. Cook 3 minutes per side or until golden brown and cheese is melted.
3. Cut sandwich into 4 strips. Cut each strip into four bite-sized pieces. Place one bite of sandwich in each shooter glass.