It’s National Craft Month: If you’re ‘gonna show it, you ‘gotta sew it!
Hi Sewing Friends,
I’m just back from the Original Sewing and Quilting Expo in Lakeland, FL and it was fantastic! If you’re looking for new ideas and inspiration, The Expo is a great event to attend. On the exhibit floor, you’ll see vendors for machines, fabrics, threads, embroidery designs, quilt kits, scissors, cases, patterns, stabilizers, unusual accessories and more! There are plenty of live demos showing how to use the products, along with what seems like an endless quilt display. Drop in on the live fashion show or sit in on a lecture delivered by an industry expert. The classrooms were all full and covered everything from beginner basics to advanced tailoring, with everything in between! All sewing, all weekend, all inspiring! Whether you’re just starting out or you’ve been sewing your entire life, there’s a class for you at The Expo! Check to see when it comes to your area and go have some fun, get inspired and let your creativity shine! You’ll be glad you did!
“If you’re ‘gonna show it, you ‘gotta sew it!”
It’s National Craft Month and we’re not talking about popsicle sticks and doodle loops! Fabric is a popular medium for hundreds of craft projects, and more and more crafters are adding a sewing machine to their toolbox. Using your machine in crafting has never been easier, and you’ll have quick, clean, professional results!
Since spring is in the air, I wanted to share this easy-to-assemble mum. The wire-stem makes it a super versatile fashion accessory. Wrap it around a handbag, bend it into a headband, gift it as a bookmark….whatever its purpose, it’s a happy reflection of your creativity – without any glue!
Cut the following in felt (the heavier grades work better)
- 4, 2.5″ x 1.5″ olive green felt leaves
- 2 lime green leaf centers
- 2, 3″ circles for flower base
- 1 piece of 16 gauge 18″ floral wire
- 12, 2″ squares of color #1 (dark)
- 1, 19.5″ x 1″ strip of green felt
- 10, 1.5″ squares of color #2 (medium)
- 10, 1″ squares of color #3 (light)
- 2, 2″ circles for the center (lightest)
- Sewing threads to match the felt colors
- Carefully trim opposing sides of the squares with a full curve.
- Fold the two curves in toward center to make a petal. Trim off the bottom.
- Snip slices around the small circles toward center to make ‘fringe’.
- Double the leaves and stitch together along the sides. A pin-stitch will wrap the edge.
- Use a decorative stitch to attach the lime green leaf center.
- Fold the long strip in half lengthwise and stitch across the bottom close to the edge. Turn and work your way up the long side edge, being careful to insert a leaf at 4″ and then the second leaf 1-2” from the end. Angle trim the leaf bottom before inserting so it doesn’t stick out straight!
- Insert the wire into the stem casing and stitch the top closed. Don’t hit the wire!
- Stitch the 3″ circles together around outside edge.
- Fold a large petal and stitch in place .5″ from the edge. Repeat around the circle.
- Fold medium petals and plea inside the stitching of the large petals.
- Repeat for the small petals.
- Place both ‘fringed’ circles in the center and tack down. Fluff with fingers.
- Baste the 4″ stem end onto the back of the flower and you’re done!
*Tip: Give your mum a sprits of your favorite cologne for an all-day sweet aroma!
I hope you’ll try something new this month. Remember, there is no right or wrong in the fabric arts! Just have FUN!
When to Watch:
- March 2nd – 10 a.m. & 3 p.m.
- March 3rd – 4 a.m. & 2 p.m.
- April 10th – A brand NEW Singer Today’s Special! More to come!