Fall 2012 The Statement Handbag: Size, Shape, Details, Speak Volumes
History of Art Deco & ties to Egyptian Culture:
The Paris Exhibition in 1925 focused primarily on the Art Deco movement in France. However, the discovery of Tutankhamen tomb in November of 1922 spawned a worldwide fascination with all things Egyptian, further contributing to the evolving aesthetic of Art Deco. Egyptomania, as it came to be known, spread throughout the globe like wild fire & influenced everything from architecture to jewelry to furniture. Hence, we recognize the classic EgyptianZiggurat (staggered tier/zigzag/pyramid shape) as a classic Art Deco motif.
The Art Deco Movement’s eclectic & artistic design style that began in Paris in the 1920’s & has flourished throughout the world. Art Deco represents elegance, glamour, functionality & modernity. Among the largest & best-known examples of Art Deco Architecture are the Empire State Building, the Chrysler Building & Rockefeller Center in NYC. Art Deco is characterized by the use of exotic & beautiful materials such as aluminum, lacquers, chrome & stainless steel
Art Deco as Inspiration:
The Art Deco Period influenced Sharif while designing the Today’s Special. The Ancient Egyptian forms & Sharif’s background serve as inspiration & show in the linear symmetry & geometrical statements throughout the Today’s Special. As well the use of Patent Leather to represent the lacquer, the chrome-like Mirror Metallic piping & geometric shapes. Sharif purposely chose exotic materials & leather like the Zebra Print Haircalf & shargreen & the linear symmetry in the pattern down the middle of the handbag is a clear nod to Art Deco Architecture.
Design Features of the Today’s Special Handbag:
- The bag is 100% all leather (luxury materials used in the haircalf) made out of haircalf, pebble leather, patent leather & suede.
- 4 metal bottom feet to help keep it clean.
- 8.5 inch strap drop length to sit on the forearm comfortably & over a coat & comes with a detachable adjustable cross-body shoulder strap.
- Top zipper closure for security with 2 inch zipper tab pulls for ease of use.
- Top zipper is curved 3 inches down each side so the mouth of the bag opens really wide.
- Backside exterior zipper pocket & 4 interior pockets one with a zipper for organization & functionality.
- Comes with care tote bag with patent logo.
- Interior designer print microfiber lining that is easy to wipe clean.
- Removable Key-chain Logo Tassel.
Pictures below are some of the Art Deco Inspired Bags in the New August Collection: